Does Bleach kill Mold?
Bleach is a powerful cleaning agent and can be very effective if treating mold. You can make your own mold removal bleach at home that will be more than adequate for mold removal on a variety of surfaces without harming the underlying substrate. It also helps with spore containment, disposal and providing resistance to future growth.
Homemade bleaches work well enough on most surfaces and continue offering resistance to mold growth for quite some time. However bleaches are only effective on non-porous surfaces such as tiles, glass, counter-tops and bathtubs. It is much less effective on surfaces like wood and drywall.
Sodium hypochlorite is the main active ingredient in the vast majority of domestic bleaches. The chlorine in the solution does not penetrate porous material and remains on the surface. Only the water in the solution will penetrate into surfaces like wood and drywall. This can make the problem worse in some cases as the water may provide even more sustenance for the mold growing underneath. Applying bleach for mold removal may prove adequate in killing the growth that manifested on the surface of the porous material. This may seem adequate for some time but in most cases the effectiveness is undone when the spores inside the material sprout and cause even further damage. You will therefore be left undergoing an endless cycle of bleaching without exterminating the spores for good.
Bleach Mold Removal Mixture
One part bleach for ten parts water
You can make an effective solution using normal household bleaches by mixing a cup per a gallon of water. This is the same as using one part bleach for ten parts water. The best way to apply the solution is by spraying with an ordinary spray bottle. If you do not have a spray bottle, you can use a sponge or piece of cloth provided it is porous enough. Do not rinse off the surface for at least twelve hours to give the solution adequate time to work.
Chemical bleaches are not recommended for all situations as they invariably cause corrosive damage to wood and other natural materials. Moreover chlorine gives off toxic fumes which can become even more dangerous when they react with other cleaning agents, e.g. Ammonia. As with any mold removal product you should always ensure you are protecting your health by using a quality respirator mask atthe very least.
Borax based Mold Removal Bleach
Borax (also called boric acid) makes a more effective mold removal solution compared to chlorine based bleaches. Borax has a pH value of 8.1 which is higher than that of baking powder and it is also less toxic. This makes it safe to use even on surfaces used to prepare food. Moreover, it penetrates well on wooden and other surfaces to kill the spores inside.
To make a homemade mold removal bleach using borax, mix one cup of borax with a gallon of water. Clean the surface to remove the growth and extra dirt. Use a spray bottle and make sure that the surface with the infestation is covered as well as the edges where no mold is evident. This will serve as an immediate solution and will continue working for months after the initial application.